Novelist

Novelist
Daniel (Danny) Lance Wright, Author

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Make A Difference

I’ve seen it all over the internet for some time but it continually resonates in me: “Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the less there is and the older we get the faster it spins.” It’s simply a clever little truism, nothing profound about it.


Setting long-term goals is always changing because, with the passage of time, they’re getting closer together and my definition of long-term is under constant assault. The clock echoes louder and chances to make a mark on this world dwindle.

Is this a selfish desire? Somewhat, I suppose. Am I alone in this wish? Not at all, I’m sure. I submit that every person that has ever lived, at some point in their lives, wondered, worried and possibly agonized over the legacy they would leave behind. I am no different.

Politicians run for office to make a difference but, in the end, all they want is to be re-elected. Obviously, a politician is not what I aspire to be because they, long ago, ceased to be statesmen; all they want is to placate the right people to remain in their comfortable situations with a sense of power over people. I criticize but I fear I might be the same.

Each one of us, worldwide, must choose our battle and make a positive difference. It is up to us, as individuals. And, that is possibly the answer; do something good for someone or some group but do it quietly, just because it is the right thing to do and then urge those recipients to pay if forward.

I’m left with a desire, in my rather humble capacity on this planet, to make a positive, uplifting and forward thinking difference for the better. Should I fail at that, there’s always running for public office.

But, for now, I’m thinking Haiti.


Daniel (Danny) Lance Wright
Author of
"Paradise Flawed"/Dream Books LLC/2009
"Six Years' Worth"/Father's Press/2007
"The Last Radiant Heart"/Virtual Tales/Spring 2010
"Anne Bonny, Where Are You?"/Rogue Phoenix Press/May 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment